Thursday, July 10, 2008

Obama - you're wrong on FISA

No way under any circumstances should businesses be given immunity when in conflict with the rights of citizens. The right of Americans to sue for redress is a basic right in this country. Take that away, and what do we have left? How can the average citizen be righted when wronged by the multinational conglomerates. There is no way the telecoms should receive immunity. In fact, Qwest refused to comply with the government and was negatively sanctioned by it.

Obama: why? Why didn't you take a stand? You sheep! What made you popular is that you are different than the politicians of the past. It was not just that you were different, but you had the ability to articulate that fact with eloquence, grace, excitement and you had the ability to enthuse others. Now, you're no different than the rest of the wimpy Democrats that compromised.

I'm also disappointed in Harry Reid. Why did this bill make it to the floor? You should have held out. Why has the White House gotten everything it wanted? We have the most unpopular President in the history of our country, yet it is still able to strong arm the Democrats into caving on all of its demands. The people disagree with you. Senator Feingold - where was your filibuster? I don't blame you, you're a good man and it wouldn't have held anyway.

I am now looking for leadership. Obama, as you try to reach middle ground, you threaten to alienate those that supported you from the beginning. Be careful because the ice is always thinnest in the middle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great piece Marc. I agree with you entirely (as does Bob Herbert of the New York Times). In the past few weeks my opinion for Barack Obama has dwindled from intense enthusiasm to passive support. I will vote for him only because he's the lesser of 2 evils. I do not intend to support his campaign financially as I have done in the past. Furthermore, I am not that optimistic about Obama's presidency. He may make one too many accommodations just to reach across the aisle. Even Hillary (who voted 'Nay') looks more appealing at this stage. If my view is shared by many, Hillary might be inspired to challenge Barack at the convention. The real heroes of the Democratic Party are the one's who stand on principal like Feingold, Dodd, Biden, Boxer, and of course Ted Kennedy. I'm beginning to think that Obama's just an opportunist who has little principle. His recent position on FISA (as well those on faith-based programs, gun control, and the death penalty) suggests that he is not a man of principle but of accommodation (whew, now that I let it out, I feel better).