Okay, I get it. You don't know who that is. It's cool. I'm not trying to be an intellectual snob. Or am I? Truly, I'm not that smart (I'm sure my IK is pretty low), but I like to use obscure references intertwined as metaphors. Therefore, if you looked it up, you may know who David Hume is, but you still probably don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Well, bare with me or take a History of Western Philosophy class and get to know me. Then, you'll get it. Maybe.
I don't have much to say today, but I want to get back into the habit of yapping, so here I go.
The New York Post cartoon parodying the chimp being shot and the economic stimulus plan is racist. There are no two ways about it. Throughout history, white people have compared blacks to monkeys, chimps and other types of primates. Therefore, whether intended or not, it is a racist reference. The New Post is a Republican leaning paper (when I say leaning, I mean solidly in the pocket of and smart people don't read it), which is why they probably thought they could get away with it. After the outrage, they offer a bull crap apology, which is BULL CRAP (did I mention that?). Frankly, I've never read the Post, nor will I ever, but they should still be taken to task.
I agree with Eric Holder. We are a nation of cowards when it comes to race.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My parents read the NY Post when I was a kid. I would describe my folks as liberal for their day (the '40s and '50s). As I recall, the NY Post at that time was pro-labor and liberal-oriented. Nowadays it's anti-labor and fascist leaning. What a shame. The cartoon was a disgrace (sort of a tribute to the esteemed George Allen and Lee Harvey Oswald). I wonder how the Post cartoons would portray Michael Steele. I think an anus would be appropriate (and not necessarily racist). By the way, there was another famous David Hume. He was a Harvard educated endocrinologist and transplant surgeon. He was Professor of Surgery at the Medical Cllege of Virginia. He made many contributions to the physiology of stress and to transplant surgery Unfortunately, he died in the early '70s when the plane he piloted crashed on approach to LA.
Marc, glad to have you back. We missed you.
Post a Comment