Saturday, August 8, 2009

Fuck Big Pharma

I'm becoming disillusioned. This administration that I elected to bring about change seems more and more like all the previous administrations each day. I understand Obama wants to be a "uniter and not a divider." I understand he wants to be collaborative. But you can't be collaborative when the other side has no interest in anything but destroying you. There is no win there. The only way to be is to use your majority to get things done. It will only make the Democrats stronger. What makes them weaker is the compromise. We already had an administration that didn't give a shit about the American people. The Democrats need to return to being the party of the people, and they need to do that by fighting for us for health care reform, and economic recovery and energy policies that make our air and water safer etc. Obama needs to lead this.

The latest I heard was the White House is barring the negotiations of cheaper drug prices in the new health care reform bill. Meaning the pharmaceutical companies have won. Money talks, people! While people get sicker and some die because they can't afford (or their insurance companies won't pay for) expensive drugs that are only expensive in the US and not Canada, the executives of these drug companies take home multi-million dollar bonuses. There was a time when George Merck, the founder of Merck, said "people before profits." What the hell happened to that philosophy? It doesn't exist in todays' pharmaceutical industry. All the drug companies care about is rushing to market unsafe drugs, then having goverments force vaccinations on us or getting us hooked on drugs that we don't need.

No comments: