I am writing this in honor of the Reverend, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He was a great man and a visionary. Our country would not have been the same without him. He had a dream. Though we have come very far, that dream has yet to be fulfilled.
This country is more divided than it has been since that time. Despite having an African American President in Barack Obama, racism is still alive and well in this country. Racial politics are at play with Republican trying to make something out of nothing on Harry Reid's recent comments. We see racism in the various "grass-roots" movements" tea party, birthers, deathers, town-hallers, whatever. All of these movements have a hatred for a black President at their bases. True, people hated Bush, but their patriotism was challenge: "you can't talk that way about the President of the United States. That's treason." Where are those same calls? You don't here them because somehow it's not treason if it's a black President. That's not quite consistent with "the dream."
There are also divides among the classes. There is the rich versus everyone else (middle class and poor). Those of us in the middle class can go out and raise money and campaign for political candidates. That is our voice. However, when they win, these same candidates show their allegiance not to the people that work so hard for them, but to the corporations and special interests that promise them money. This is a travesty. Why campaign for candidates? Why even have elections? Just let Blue Cross/Blue Shield select our candidates like their writing our health care bill. The American people are losing here. I do not believe this was part of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s dream, and I believe he would have been out there protesting and fighting for fair and affordable health care for everyone.
The dream will not be fulfilled until all people, who are created equal, are treated equal. The dream will not be fulfilled until people are judge by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin, the neighborhood in which they live, the amount of money they have in the bank, the type of profession they hold and all the other factors that divide us as a people.
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Shame on you for playing the race card with your comment about the opposition to the current administration's policies:
"All of these movements have a hatred for a black President at their bases."
It has absolutely NOTHING to do with what color skin the President has....it's all about his policies, his philosophy, and his take-over of the private sector....PERIOD! The opposition feels that he is dangerous for this country because of that....not because of his skin color.
And by the way, the democrats have ALWAYS played the race card and are usually quite successful in destroying anyone on the other side that even says anything remotely "racial". If someone on the Republican side would have said anything even close to what harry reid or clinton said, the media would be running front page stories about it for the next year until that person stepped down.....don't even try to deny that!
It IS about race, and don't you deny it. These so-called anti-policy movements are the same people that accused Obama of "being a Muslim." It's all about his race. It's not called playing the race card when those you are accusing of being racists actually are racists.
Whatever on Harry Reid. I think what he said was dead on. Republicans are saying that type of stuff all time from Trent Lott's dream of a time when we should have embraced the segregationist policies of the Strum Thurmond's Dixiecrats to George Allen's macacca? The difference between the Republicans and Democrats is most Republicans are bigoted in their hearts.
Don't give me the media is harder on Republicans than Democrats. The media is extremely right-wing, unless Fox News isn't the most popular network. The media gave Bush a pass for 8 years. They tried to make something out of what Harry Reid said, but there was no story.
"It has absolutely NOTHING to do with what color skin the President has....it's all about his policies, his philosophy, and his take-over of the private sector....PERIOD! The opposition feels that he is dangerous for this country because of that....not because of his skin color."
Your soo right ANONYMOUS. Color has nothing to do with it. That's why there are so many minorities represented by the Republican/Teabag Contingent (Michael Steele and Eric Cantor) and there was so much protest by the tea-baggers when George Bush was President (or is it that stupid leaders are less a threat than those from ethnic minorities). Oh yes, and Trent Lott's and George Allen's commentary are just the same as Harry Reed's. I bet you're all for profiling to keep America safe.
Hey Anonymous,
I think you ought to listen to someone else other than the likes of Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Hannity, Palin, and Krauthammer. You might learn something from Paul Krugman about why our economy is in the crapper.
One thing about my blog is that I won't tolerate insults or inanity. I will delete those comments. And I will always have the last word unless I deem it is appropriate for someone else to have the last word. I do believe in free speech, but I also believe there are some people that are just not better being heard. If someone is going to talk nonsense and say racism doesn't exist or espouse right-wing Fox News talking point, I don't need to hear that. Go mess with someone else's blog. If you've got something to say or you make a good point, fine.
Once again, shame on this other poster for playing the race card once again.
I do not care what color the President is....I care about what that person believes in and what direction they want to take the country in.
I'm really amused by this blog and I'm glad I stumbled upon it.....it scares me to see that there are people that think like this, but I guess all I need to do is be one of the few people that watch msnbc or cnn to see what they're telling you to think.
Keep up the good work, you're helping bring "change" in the next election!
Fox News tells you what to think. Frankly, I don't watch CNN because it's a piece of crap. I watch MSNBC on occasion because I think Keith Olbermann and Rachel Madow make sense and they're intelligent. Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin and Sean Hannity et al. are all idiots and they speak to idiots. If you watch Fox News and that is what you rely on for your source of information then you need help.
I'm not bringing about any type of change in the next election. The ineffectiveness of our government is doing a fine job of ensuring that. In fact, if we can't get a decent health care bill passed, I may vote for Richard Burr. Just kidding. He's a prick. I wouldn't vote him.
"I traveled on the Tea Party Express tour bus as a singer/songwriter, entertainer and spokesperson; 16 states, 34 rallies in two weeks. I experienced vicious racial verbal attacks, not from the tea party protesters. The racial hate expressed against me all came from the left, people who support President Obama's radial socialist agenda. ... These racists are outraged by my opening lines I boldly proclaimed at each rally. 'Hello my fellow patriots! I am NOT an African-American! I am Lloyd Marcus, AMERCIAN!' ... The tea party audience's passionate response to my proclamation was a surprise to me. I did not know so many Americans disapproved of hyphenating pushed on us via political correctness. ... Liberals' response to my YouTube videos, columns and performances on the Tea Party Express have been extremely racist, vicious and hate-filled. In their incredible arrogance, they vilify me for loving my country and not viewing myself as a victim of white America. In the sick minds of liberals, as a black man in America, I must support President Obama regardless of his policies. I must resent white America. I must feel entitled to the earnings of other Americans. My belief that my success or failure is totally in the hands of myself and my God is anathema to them. As to the claim that the tea party protesters are racist, they are not. Quite the opposite. At every rally, with thousands in attendance, I was overwhelmingly showered with affection and thanks for standing up for America. ... These protesters are not racist. They are decent hard working ordinary Americans who love their country and disapprove of the radical changes planned by the Obama administration." --singer, songwriter and columnist Lloyd Marcus
I decided to publish your comment because it shows you for the lunatic you are. What socialist agenda are you talking about? I keep hearing that, but all I see out of Obama and the Democrats are the same pro big business policies carried out by the Bush administration. You are Lloyd Marcus, crazy American. I don't know who you are. I've never heard of you and I don't really care.
Post a Comment