Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Dixie Chicks: You Go Girls!

The Dixie Chicks are having the last laugh on country music fans with their five Grammys. Hooray for them. Personally, I'm not a fan of their music. In fact, the best thing ever to come out of their mouths is "we're ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas." They said this in 2003, and their fans made them pay. They banned their music, and the country music stations led the charge by refusing to play them and burning their CDs. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Whenever you hear rednecks say "freedom isn't free," they really mean free speech isn't free. Only ignorant sons of bitches and scoundrels utter that phrase. Frankly, I was ashamed of Bush in 2001 and nothing has changed.

As far as the Dixie Chicks are concerned, who needs those ignorant fans. "I got fans in low places." Country music is lame! It hasn't been good for 20 years. The Chicks were forced to get creative and reinvent themselves. They became artist again. It wasn't about the fans, rather what they like to do, which is make music, and they made my favorite kind of music: protest music. I really dig "I'm Not Ready to Make Nice." I'm not ready to make nice with conservatives and Republicans until they apologize for being so stupid for the last six years and help get this country back on track (it's not too late to make it right). Yes, "I'm still mad as hell, and I don't have time to go round and round and round." The big winner for the Dixie Chicks' five Grammys was free speech.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marc,
Long-time reader, first-time writer...
First, of all, blogging at 5:55 am...go back to sleep, man.
I agree, the DCs can and should say whatever they want. However, just as they exercise their right to free speech, can't music fans and station owners do the same by choosing what to buy or play?
Tim Hardaway can say whatever he wants, but the NBA can stop paying the jackass for endorsements or appearances.
Say whatever you want - but don't bitch about the consequences the way the DC's did.
And speaking of country music, there's nothing better than David Allan Coe!

Marc said...

Yes, country music fans and stations can boycott the Chicks. I just think it's LAME that they do.
My point was three-fold:
1) Today's country music SUCKS
2) Country music fans suck
3) I'm glad the Chicks reinvented themselves and thumbed their noses at their fickle and uneducated fans.

As far as David Allen Coe, "Fuck Anita Bryant, who the hell is she, tellin' all them faggots that they can't be free." No offense my to my homosexual readers. It's a line from a song.
Coe is cool. He's old school.