This has got me peeved. Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) has bullied through a resolution that passed the House with flying colors "Recognizing the importance of Christmas and the Christian faith." First of all, we don't need this, and our members of Congress don't need to be wasting our time and money on this when there is a needless war going on in Iraq, our children are being left behind by our education system, our health care system sucks worse than Cuba's, our economy is in the toilet, etc. As a non-Christian this offends me. One of the items in the resolution states "rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the United States and worldwide." Give me a break! I've been a victim of persecution, but I've never witnessed any Christian persecution. I'm pretty sure it hasn't happened since the time of the early Roman emperors. In fact, the only Christian persecution that is exists is Christian-on-Christian persecution. That is, Catholics persecuting Protestants, Baptist persecuting Catholics, Mormons and every other denomination, etc.
Another part of the resolution "recognizes the Christian faith as one of the great religions of the world." I reject this completely. There would be no Christianity without Judaism. Shouldn't Judaism get recognition? Also, it "acknowledges the international religious and historical importance of Christmas and the Christian faith." Without the pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice there would be no Christmas. Shouldn't paganism get some recognition? Finally, this resolution "expresses its deepest respect to American Christians and Christians throughout the world." I don't. Most of the people that outwardly express their faith are pro-war, anti-gay, anti-science and anti-everyone that doesn't agree with their distorted view of the world. I can't respect that. I can respect those Christians that practice what they preach (kind of like Christ). Unfortunately, you know very little about those Christians because it is less important to them to preach their faith than to practice good deeds and live by example, which is what Jesus preached.
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
An interesting take can be found here, from someone readers of this blog may not normally read:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/13/AR2007121301501.html
Shame on our legislators. I think it's time for those interested in a separation of church and state to stand up and be counted. Our future really depends on it. If not, our grandchildren and great grandchildren will be applying to professional schools in Shanghai or Mumbai. By the way, Mormonism is not Christianity. It's an abomination. Jesus and Satan siblings....please! The part about the Native American being descended from the lost tribes of Israel seems pretty cool. I hope Ridley Scott gets the rights to the Book of Mormon. It could make a pretty cool movie..with Tom Cruise as Joseph Smith (oops sorry, he's a Scientologist), maybe Will Smith, (sorry he's a scientologist too...and Black) How about Donny Osmond. To tell you the truth, the Book of Mormon seems no sillier than any of the other spiritual epics (it's sort of like Ray Bradbury's take on the Scriptures).
Post a Comment