Friday, February 15, 2008
When John Lewis says "it's time," it's time.
John Lewis (D-GA), who initially supported Hillary Clinton, indicated he was going to endorse and support Barack Obama as a superdelegate. He said he would never do anything to reverse the direction of the voters in his district. I had the pleasure of living in his district for six years when I lived in Atlanta. I even had the greater pleasure of meeting him once, and I can tell you he is an inspiring man. He is a no-BS guy, and if he says he is supporting Obama, that is a telling sign of how other superdelegates may throw their support. You might say "well, he is an African American so it's no surprise that he would support Obama." I can tell you that John Lewis is not supporting Obama just because he is black. It is true that he was with Marting Luther King, Jr. back in the day. He is the living embodiment of what Dr. King preached. He is one of the most thoughtful members in Congress. He represents a diverse Congressional district. He is and always has been staunchly pro-Israel (for what it's worth). He refused to participate in the Million Man March because of his opposition to Louis Farrakhan's anti-semitic rhetoric. I make these points to show that it is not just about skin color for John Lewis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Marc,
Thanks for your kind words. We miss you back in Hotlanta. Keep up the great work on your website.
Best regards,
John
Post a Comment