Rev. Jeremiah Wright (not Right) is at it again. A year ago when he came under fire for comments made during his sermons that Obama supposedly attended, I defended him, agreed with him and praised him for his comments. Now, I wish to recant that because I think he's just a plain putz (to use the Jewish word for prick). At the Hampton University Minister's Conference last week, he was asked if he'd spoken to Obama since he's been President, he answered "Them Jews ain't going to let him talk to me." What the heck did he mean by that? "Them Jews!?" Who are "them Jews?"
On Make it Plain with Mark Thompson (on SiriusXM) the other day, I heard an interview with Reverend Wright where he apologized for those remarks, then clarified what he meant. Them Jews he was referring to were "the Zionists." Yeah, that really clarifies it. I guess the Zionists own the Obama administration.
Jeremiah Wright is a bigot plain and simple. Even if he meant the Jewish lobby, such as AIPAC, the fact that we would say "them Jews" as the first thing to come out of his mouth shows a hint of not only bigotry, but anti-antisemitism. To go on and clarify that he meant "the Zionists" even further suggests he is antisemitic as that is a popular term used by the white supremicist/neo-nazi movement to refer to Jews in general. It tends to be a reference that Jews run the world. That is what Wright meant because he was suggesting that Jews were controlling the movements of Obama. There is no backpedaling from this statement. If someone said "them blacks" referring to the NAACP would that have been well received or understood by the African American community?
Truly a Zionist is one that supports a Jewish homeland. Most Jews and many non-Jews subscribe to this belief. It is a concept, not a group. It was used by the likes of Theodore Herzl, David Ben Gurion and many others during the founding of the state of Israel. There is nothing wrong with being a Zionist. There is no shame in calling ourselves Zionists, but when others call us Zionists it is with disdain as Reverend Wright meant.
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Marc, I must confess, this is a side of you I have never seen before. I am glad we live in a great country with freedoms we both can exercise.
Great post Marc. I learned something about Zionist today. :)
Post a Comment