When I heard that President say of the "Gates-Crowley" incident "the police acted 'stupidly'" I thought "who the hell uses the word 'stupidly?'" I didn't know it was a word. In any case, there's no law against Presidents using poor English. Shoot, Bush did every did every time he opened his mouth.
Ah, but I digress. Everyone jumped on Obama for criticizing the police, probably more particularly for criticizing "white people." Would it have been okay if the arresting officer was an African American? Maybe the President shouldn't have said anything without knowing all the facts or because he was biased towards his friend. Whatever. The Cambridge Police acted stupidly.
Maybe we don't have all the facts in this case. Here's what we do know, however. Gates was in his own home. Gates is an old guy with a cane. Gates did not pull a gun, knife or use his cane as a weapon on Sgt. Crowley. How do you arrest an old guy with a cane? Just leave the guy alone, say "I'm glad you're not a burglar" and go on your way.
For whatever unimaginable reason, Sgt. Crowley thought Gates was a threat so he dragged his ass down to the station. If that wasn't acting stupidly, then it was minimally unnecessary.
People are upset with Obama because he criticized the police. Wah wah! "The police are just doing their job...wah wah..." Well, I'm sorry, but the police are not above acting stupidly. In Blue Ash, OH two police officers shot and killed a Chihuahua. The officers couldn't catch the dog and it bit one of the officers so they shot it. Pretty stupid if you ask me. Recently in Florida, four police officers were caught on camera (their own camera) discussing how they were going to frame a motorist one of them just rear ended. Doy! That's pretty fricking stupid. Not only are they stupid, but they're crooked. Oh yeah, and suspendid.
I'm sure if I dug through the archives I could find more incidents. Cops are human and capable of making mistakes. Nothing against the police. I know many wonderful law enforcement officers, including memebers of my own family. (The guy that gave me a speeding ticket this summer in Tyrell Co and the park rangers that made me dump out my Crown Royal are pricks.) People need to just lay off Obama for what he said and worry more important things like the economy, health care and two wars. If there is any teachable opportunity it is that America, which is pretty stupid, especially after 8 years of Bush, needs to stop focusing on petty bull shit.
Friday, July 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment