Sunday, August 16, 2009

Health Care is a responsibility of the government

The pro health care reformers have been criticized for not standing up to the Republican town hall terrorists. It makes it kind of difficult to debate when one side is yelling and screaming and not letting you get across your point. Those idiots don't want a debate, they just want to disrupt, and they seem to be succeeding. I use the phrase town hall terrorists, but they're actually town hall mercenaries. It is terrorism, but they are mercenaries because these people are for hire for the most part. They are being shipped in to meetings in districts where they're not even constituents, paid for by conservative and right-wing interest groups. They average Republican citizen (that ignorantly votes Republican, you know the ones that are racist white trash etc.?) are not being represented by these groups. In fact, if anyone could use state paid health care, it's probably these bottom feeders. The point here is not to allow them to the debate if they're not going to actually debate. Don't play by their rules. The health care reformers have to win the PR war.

I heard someone say on a radio show that Ayn Rand, the grandmother of the Libertarian movement, once said the only two responsibilities of government were military and health care. It sounded good to me to put all those "we don't want socialized medicine" morons in there place. I searched for that quote, but I haven't found it yet. I did find this quote, though: "Doctors are not servants of their patients. They are traders, like everyone else in a free society, and they should bear that title proudly, considering the crucial importance of the services they offer." Yes, all of us that work for the almighty dollar are traders of some sort, but doesn't this potentially come into conflict with the Hippocratic oath? Should a doctor not treat a patient because they cannot afford it? If one's motivation to go into medicine is about money, then I don't even want to be treated by that doctor. The doctor's responsibility is to treat patients.

If health care costs keep rising because the "traders," doctors, HMOs, hospitals, drug companies, etc., keep trading at higher prices, everyone will die except the rich. I will exit with another quote from Ayn Rand, which is more reminiscent of Karl Marx: "Upper classes are a nation's past; the middle class is its future."

No comments: